Portumna is on the border with County Tipperary and located at the point where the River Shannon enters Lough Derg.
The town is noted for Portumna Castle. The castle is actually a semi-fortified house and was built before 1618 by the 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it was gutted by fire in 1826.
Portumna forest park is on the northern shore of Lough Derg. The park spans almost 1,500 acres and formed part of the lands of the Earl of Clanricarde. Also within the site are the remains of a Cistercian abbey, dating from the 15th Century.
Sorry no cottages currently available